Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Once Bitten...

I'm doing some negotiating with a Crown right now and she's being ever so helpful, and I'm learning so much. But in the back of my mind all I can think about is last time I had what I thought was this kind of rapport with a Crown, I wound up getting suckered in, looking like a COMPLETE ass in court, and coming thisclose to screwing over my principal.

In an ideal world, this is how things should be...Crowns should not be out to convict, per se, but rather should seek to uphold the rule of law, and seek out truth - if that results in acquittals, then so be it. But who am I kidding?? The system is adversarial by nature - there are winners and there are losers. But where does that leave people like me who are still unsure of the procedures and the ropes etc? To a certain extent we have to rely on others to assist us in our learning...and this includes the Crowns. I guess the trick is to never commit yourself to a corner that does not have a back way out...hmmm...easier said than done.

No comments: