Monday, July 24, 2006

If Bon Jovi Was A Pony

A few posts back I commented on a couple of my favorite things about Alberta. You can add cowboys to that list. First of all, I know that I've been sort of swooning the past few days...I guess the farm has sort of infested my brain. Not to worry, I'm sure I'll be cured of it, and be adequately cynical before you know it. But back to the cowboys...I'm not sure if it's the horses, or the handyness, or the fact that they're slightly dirty, and walk with a swagger and call you ma'am with a twang, but my god...
Tonight we went to Capital Ex, which is the carnival in town - we saw the Philosopher Kings in concert, which I suprisingly enjoyed..that lead singer is unbelievable...but that's another story. I got free tickets from my colleague, also got us into the Chuck Wagon Derby. I've never been to a Chuck Wagon Derby...it was an experience. They run miniature covered wagons around barrels and then around the track. Each wagon is led by a team of four horses and it's all very exciting. At half time they ran the wild pony races. Three cowboys try and catch a wild pony in the ring and mount it and ride it for a bit before they get bucked off...and they have to do this in under 25 seconds. My favorite pony to beat the cowboys had this great tuft of crazy mane that made him look like the horse equivalent of Bon Jovi. If Bon Jovi was a horse...this would have been him. He dragged those cowboys around the ring for all 25 seconds and when he threw them, he snorted and tossed that wild mane with such attitude, definitely a young gun if I ever saw one.

No comments: