Monday, July 17, 2006

Daydreaming

One of my secret, in my heart of hearts, desires is to front a band...to be a rock goddess a la Pat Benetar, or the girls from Heart, or the original - Stevie Nicks - husky voiced, ripped jeans, wild hair, edgy, don't give a fuck attitude, and just dripping with sex appeal. Alas, despite my dabbles in bad ass, I'm way too Pollyanna, way too uptight, and just not that talented. Thus, my vocal stylings are relegated to the shower, or to dancing with the vaccuum cleaner.

I just bought my friend Darla's, or I should say Dasha's (as she is known in the music world) new CD, and it is fantastic. I'm forever humming one tune or another that's on my mind...but it's a funny feeling when you realize that that tune is one written by your friend...a combination of excitement, and pride and joy and irony and surrealism all together.

But Dasha truly is a rocker chick...cut from the same cloth. Her music is so interesting - classically trained pianist with a beautiful, sweet, huge range voice, and rough, edgy, break-your heart, tell-it-like-it-is lyrics. I'm no music critic, but I know music that, at the risk of sounding trite, speaks to me and that knows what it's talking about...and hers does. It makes me think, it makes me heal, and it makes me dream, once again, of being a rocker chick too...

http://www.dashapostnikova.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

or harmonizing with a certain sybling