Thursday, September 07, 2006

Magic Ear Drops

Hallelujah, I'm cured.

I have been a miserable sack of cow dung this past week...sick and grouchy and miserable and awful. My sore throat progressed up into my ear, and last night I was in so much pain...I tried to drug myself...downed half a bottle of Buckley's...but you know that stuff...it tastes like they took all bad things on the planet and mixed them up in a bottle...it's like they're trying to make you puke.

Anyways so this whole thing is tinged by the fact that there was this huge fiasco with my health care and I'm wasn't sure that any province was covering me any more...this in the land of universal health care...but anyways. So five thirty AM rolls around...the kitten has decided that she wants to play fetch (we've been working on it all week...I'm very excited about it...good exercise for her)...I'm miserable and I decide that I'm going to call Alberta health care and yell at them for leaving me high and dry. So I do...and they're closed....so I cry. Then I think to myself - self...you never checked the mail yesterday...maybe your card came in the mail yesterday. So I go downstairs - bride of frankenstein hair...haven't brushed my teeth...slightly wild eyed...not a wink of sleep. And guess what...not only was the health care card there...but my student loan came through as well....Hallelujah...when it rains goodness...it pours goodness.

So off I go to the doctor...and he cures me and he gives me good drugs and some magic ear drops to take my pain away. I haven't had an ear infection since I was a kid. But I do have nightmarish flashbacks of shrieking in pain...I remember now. So it doesn't hurt any more, but my balance is still off...I bump into things, and get woozy from time to time. I've always thought that was wild...the connection between your inner ear and your balance.

Hmmm...there's a crazy beginning of year party at school tomorrow. Alcohol and an inner ear infection...reminds me of when we used to give blood so we could get drunk cheap.

No comments: