Thursday, September 21, 2006

Great Salad Dressing

I made myself a salad for dinner last night, and in my true little of this little of that fashion made a salad dressing to go with it. Can't tell you quantitites because, like I say, it was a little of this and a little of that. But it was fantastic...and super easy. I just can't abide by store bought salad dressings when there are so many easy and healthy variations on a vinagrette that you can make yourself.

But the recipe goes something like this:

Olive oil (I go easy on the olive oil cause I don't like greasy lettuce)
The juice of one half fresh lemon
Little bit of rasberry infused red wine vinegar
Pinch of salt
Tons of pepper
Little bit of mustard powder
Splash of soy sauce
Just a touch of honey
Some non-fat parmesan cheese
Tiny tiny bit of garlic powder.

The pepper is key...I think it just makes the recipe.

I like to mix the dressing in the bottom of the salad bowl, and then throw the tomatoes, cucumbers, other hard veggies in the bowl and coat them with the dressing and let them marinate. Throw the greens on top but don't mix them until you are ready to serve.

So good...I think i'll make it again tonight.

3 comments:

Eve said...

I know. I'm a total salad dressing snob. If I go on a date with someone and they order ranch on their salad, I'll leave without saying a word. (Well not really, but I do fail to contain my disgust.)

I like to use a bit of balsamic. Balsamic makes everything (savory) taste better.

Eve said...

Hey! That's my method of dressing a salad!

Lin-Zed said...

Two things:
1) I just found this balsamic that's infused with figs. Haven't tried it yet but really excited to.
2)the best thing about dressing a salad like that is if you are having a dinner party you can prepare the salad in the morning and a. the lettuce doesn't wilt, and b. the veggies get all nice and marinated. It's the best. Truth be told, I learned it from Martha Stewart. But just like her method of folding fitted sheets, I'll never go back.