Sunday, March 11, 2007

Movie reviews

My oh my I have seen a whole pile of movies lately...most quite good: Shooting Dogs (about a Catholic school in Kigali during the massacre), Who Killed the Electric Car? (documentary about GM's shortlived, allegedly phenomenal electric car), Marie Antoinette (story interesting, once again irritated with Sofia Coppola as director, she just doesn't seem to speak to me...in this case I thought she didn't commit to one style or another and it bothered me), The Queen (just phenomenal, it's absolutely uncanny the portrayals in this movie, and the treatment of the characters is sympathetic, but human), An Inconvenient Truth (I don't know why all the environmental movies lately but I'm starting to build up quite a complex about my environmental fingerprint - I'm considering writing to BMW and telling them that despite the fact that I've wanted one of their cars since I was but a girl, I will be unable to purchase it in a few years when I actually may be able to afford it unless it comes in a hybrid variety...I don't know...this might just be my cause du jour).

But most recently I finally got around to seeing Bon Cop Bad Cop; a movie recommended by my sister at Christmas, that I just haven't gotten around to seeing. It was fantastic. A Quebec film about an Ontario Police officer and one from Quebec who have to work on a file together because the victim found himself in a rather unfortunate position crossing the border between the provinces. The movie is truly bilingual, though you can add which ever subtitles are required.

I was really proud that this movie was Canadian. I feel like so often NFB funded Canadian Content stuff is garbage, poor quality, poor acting, almost embarrassing. But this was exciting, high quality, visually stimulating, entertaining, quality film. And it was really funny. For anyone who has lived in Quebec and no longer does, it is such a wonderful reminder about the culture and language of Quebec. Language makes a prime candidate for jokes as the characters each prefer one over the other.

Anyways, I highly recommend it. Eve, if you can't get it, let me know and I'll send you a copy!

6 comments:

Indiana James said...

I'm glad you got around to seeing Bon Cop Bad Cop. The PQ and ON differenes were great, but the fact that it actually followed a story line that happened in the NHL made it all the better. Loved that one. Still haven't seen The Queen yet but I'm more looking forward to 300. If you see it, lemme know how it goes.

Eve said...

Netflix doesn't have it ;( Want to deliver in person?

Lin-Zed said...

Yes I would. K...step one: get summer job. Step two: see Eve this summer...what do you think about Morocco??
But regardless...I'll get my hands on a copy of the movie and send it to you!

Eve said...

I love the idea about Morocco, but I don't think the others are down to go. I'm working on wearing them down though.

S'Mat said...

you two ladies! morocco indeed!! i started to learn arabic just to go there, and then swiftly realized i couldn't even afford the bus to get to the lessons, let alone pay for the learnening. I want to go to Morocco more badly than EITHER of you two, even if you were amalgamated as some some of Transformer MEGALINDZEVE. so now you force me to gesticulate with a fist atremble and say: fie!! FIE!!!

by the way, Babel sucked. Pan's Labyrinth was stellar. The Prestige was enjoyable. Borat was funny, but made me feel like a worm. And if you're looking for wicked mini-drama action, I cannot recommend HBO and BBC's Rome enough. Thanks for the BCBC review, I'd prevaricated in front of that one for a bit too long..

Eve said...

Babel was ok (the Japanese storyline was best by far), Pan's Labyrinth was great! (and made me cry), and I freaking LOVE Rome! Can't wait til Weeds is back on, while we're talking tv.