Tuesday, March 06, 2007

It was a win-win kind of day

Spent the day in court yesterday. They weren't actually my files, but I was supervising them...aka providing the words/argument to use.

The morning was a guilty plea that we had attempted to negotiate with the Crown. The Crown was completely unreasonable, so we went in without a joint submission and pled our case to the judge. Not only did the judge agree with my argument, but when the Crown piped up to try and amend the sentence and add on some terms, the judge pretty much dressed her down for being a bitch, and for being disrespectful. This gave me extreme satisfaction - not only were my arguments validated, but so was my competency. As students we often get disregarded by the Crown...we have to work twice as hard to get even a modicum of respect. It's nice when you get a judge who looks beyond your junior status and listens to your words.

The afternoon was a trial on a possession of marijuana charge. Arguing drug charges is always very interesting. As a senior defence lawyer said to me yesterday, "a drug charge without a Charter argument is called a guilty plea." In this case the drugs were obtained subsequent to a search incident to arrest. However, in our opinion the arrest was illegal because the officer lacked reasonable and probable grounds. If the arrest was illegal, then the search was warrantless and, barring exigent circumstances, illegal. The judge agreed, the evidence was excluded and the charges dismissed.

I got into an argument the other night with a cop at a bar. Now granted he was drunk and kind of beligerent, but he basically said that he would do what ever was necessary to put these "criminals" (referring to my clients) in jail. He basically called me, and all defence lawyers, scum. He didn't like it very much when I told him that by "doing what ever was necessary" and not following protocol and respecting Charter rights, he was making my job much easier. Cause the way I see it is that, yes, I am defending people who often have committed crimes. But if the evidence is there, and obtained properly, then these people will be convicted - most likely they will plead guilty. These cases create law, and that law binds all of us in this country. That law creates limits for authority to act within, and protects the liberty rights of all citizens: criminal or not. So, by enforcing the Charter rights of those within the criminal justice system, we are infact enforcing the Charter rights of everyone. If we allow unlawful arrests, and warrantless search and seizures of those suspected of crimes, where does that stop? What is a "suspicion" anyways? A hunch? Is that good enough? In my view it becomes a slippery slope towards a police state ESPECIALLY in this time where the government sanctions, increasingly, invasions into civil liberties. So if you look at it that way, I'm not scum...I'm a freedom fighter. Kidding, kidding...sort of.

4 comments:

Indiana James said...

Lindz,

Speaking from the other side of the legal equation, you might expect a little friendly fire from my camp but there is none coming.

Education and a sharp mind often favour the lawyers and as much as I don't like to say it, some of the police folks out there aren't the most educated folks out there.

That's why I agree with you that proper procedure is a must for both sides. It balances the mind gap and also ensures due process from both ends. I've always maintained that you've got nothing to hide if you've done nothing wrong.

Congrats on the good day.

Amy said...

without defense lawyers we'd never fine tune our laws to ensure they work for us. it IS hard to justify not punishing guilty act/mind, but i agree with you. procedure and reasonability have to be fairly rigid if we want our system to work for, not against, us..

thanks for the furniture change idea! it seems to have made a world of difference...

Lin-Zed said...

Amy - Re: furniture...it's a habit from my Mom that I've inherited, and it never ceases to amaze me how much it can contribute to a change in my mind set.

Indiana - It's interesting, cause one would expect police and defence lawyers to be always at odds. I have regular contact, however, with several constables/officers that I have GREAT respect for...and several defence lawyers who I have no respect for. It seems not so much to be about what camp you come from, but rather how you conduct yourself, and your intent. Both sides can learn from eachother and perform their jobs better by understanding the process end to end. Its important for me and I think maybe for all of us who are involved in the system to understand the entire process from the street to the institutions (remand, prisons, mental health facilities). I actually made an attempt to do a ride along with local authorities but alas there appears to be some liability issues involved - stupid lawyers ;). And while I agree with you that lawyers probably have the upper hand in education, education does not equate to practical experience. Theory is good in theory, but not so practical. Aww...sometimes my world is just pink all over.

S'Mat said...

yes lindz! de-fense de-fense