Saturday, March 17, 2007

An alternative thought

I've been talking a lot lately about the importance of criminal defence, and rights under the Charter etc.
This morning I was reading from my Criminal Procedure case book, and I came across a quote from Justice Cardozo, an American judge. He talks about rights that have been afforded to accuseds, but then follows it up by saying: "But justice, though due to the accused, is due to the accuser also. The concept of fairness must not be strained till it is narrowed to a filament. We are to keep the balance true."

It's something to think about. I find that a lot of my learning goes like this...I become more and more passionate and perhaps extreme about something, and then a counter opinion will literally hit me like a ton of bricks and I'll sort of shake my head and wake up somewhere a little bit more moderate. Like someone yanking on the reins.

Hmmm...that reminds me...I want to go horseback riding.

And Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

2 comments:

Indiana James said...

The more we learn about something and engross ourselves in it, the more it becomes us. Getting reined back in now and again is what keeps us level. It would be so easy for me to get jaded with the people I deal with out there, but I have enough outer interests away from work to make sure that doesn't happen. At least I hope it does. :P

Eve said...

I saw this and thought you might be interested: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Scotus-Bong-Hits.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin.