Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Things that made me happy today

I was watching the news today and they did a piece on those hikers that were rescued after they fell off a cliff on Mount Hood. Apparently one of the reasons they survived is that their dog, a black lab named Velvet, lay on top of them and kept them warm. It made my heart positively burn with love for all the labs that I have been fortunate enough to know in my life: Nicki, Coco, Maverick- by far the most loving, sweet natured, marvelous dogs in the world.

My Mom lost her job yesterday at 1pm...the company did totally shit last year, and they had to downsize. But today she got a new job at 10am. Seriously...less than 24 hours...that's not even enough time to really get the pity party into full swing. I love my Mom...I'm so proud of her.

I was watching Oprah today (I swear I am not a regular watcher...I hate when she gets all find-your-bliss and shit...but sometimes...sometimes like today) and they did a show on small homes - like really really small homes. Two of them were under 300 square feet, one of them was only 7 feet wide and one of them was a mere 89 square feet in total. And all of these people were utterly blissful in their tiny homes. It made me think two things: 1) I need to do some serious reorganizing because my just-shy-of-500 square foot apartment is positively palacial in comparison and 2) How much space do we really need?

Ok, I'm off to drink wine and clean my glorious mansion...in truth, I love my apartment...I just wish the parking situation wasn't so completely shitty.

3 comments:

Indiana James said...

I caught that news bit too. My cat is doing that for me these days. Come to think of it, since my dog passed away, my cat has been sneaking his way onto my bed in the middle of the night and snuggles right in and I find him sound asleep in the mornings.

As for the living space thing. I just can't wait for my place to get built. Then I'll worry about how much space I have to try and manage. :P

Eve said...

Whoa! Tell your mom I said congrats.

Thanks for the Coco shout-out.

Not an Oprah addict, eh? Suuuure...

Lin-Zed said...

Indiana - my cats have always felt that they had the right not only to sleep on the bed, but actually under the covers. I suppose it beats the hell out of a hot water bottle.

Eve - Of course, it's not just any dog that has that kind of rabid obsession with banana peels. Remember the Coco-loving sessions...how she used to get so excited. I always thought that a six handed massage was something we could all benefit from.