Thursday, August 17, 2006

We had a perfect day sailing yesterday...me and my dad. We took the boat late morning and spent all afternoon criss crossing the harbour, manouvering around the half dozen freighters that awaited unloading. The sky was completely clear, there was a light wind...maybe 15-20 knots coming in from the straight...the sea was fairly calm. The wildlife was plentiful: tons of harbour seals, bald and golden eagles, and blue herons.

We took turns pilotting on each tack, trying to beat top speed of eachother...my dad won...he cracked 6 knots once. But we were just smoking...averaging about five and a half through most of the afternoon. The boat had a good heel going...usually about 15 degrees or so...but once my dad had it over at about 25 degrees. That takes trust, it does. I was perched in my favorite position, up on the high side of the boat, with my feet dangling over the edge...it's a rush when you heel over that far.

My favorite part is probably the coming about...it's so exciting....one person at the helm, one person manning the sheets. At the cue, the pilot spins the wheel, and the boom slams across, one sheet is loosed and the other pulled, fighting against the wind, and then cranking the winch so that the genoa is taut...and the boat rolls in the surf, and the wind catches in the sail, and all of a sudden you feel this sudden lift as the boat surges forward, propelled by nothing but the force of the wind. It's so quiet...the only sound is the wind and the surf...as the hull of the boat cuts through the water. I remember one time, when I was about 12, we were crossing the Georgia Straight under sail, and all of a sudden we were surrounded by a school of porpoises...and because we were so silent, they grew bold enough to approach the boat...and they ran along side of it, diving under the bow, playing in the wake. We have a picture...it is one of my fondest memories.

I miss the ocean...I think more than anything. It never ceases to amaze me the power of the ocean and the sea air to clear the mind, and calm the heart. And it does great things for the hair too.

No comments: