Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Moving Day

Our office is moving today...across the hall. Our benefactors have decided to take our old office space and turn it into an elaborate reception area. I'm not complaining, our new office has hardwood floors, fresh coat of paint, bona fide interview rooms rather than just partitions. Nothing like a move to make me feel all fresh and clean again. It's motivated me to go over my files, clean up my desk, start fresh.
When I was a kid and my mom started to feel restless or upset or disconcerted in anyway, she would always change up the furniture in her house. Either move it to different rooms, or just move it around the room...and of course when you move the furniture you have to clean out the cabinets and drawers and reorganize. Afterwards she would feel calm...like she had a new house, like her life was now orderly and fresh. Though it was just a superficial makeover of a room, it manifested a psychological makeover as well.
I think I've inheirited her tendency...the best way to cheer up for me is to reorganize my closet...clean it out...rearrange it by color and type of clothing, reorder the hangers so they are color coordinated and hanging in the same direction, refold and coordinate all of the clothes in my drawers. I know it sounds like a cheesy metaphor - cleaning out my closet - but it really is rather cathartic. Same with moving or reorganizing in general...it's like creating order in my surroundings helps to maintain order in the chaos that is my mind.

No comments: