Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I have a baby!


Our office in the twilight zone or something like that because the most bizarre things happen there. We have law offices upstairs, downstairs, and on the same floor, and we're all pretty friendly...we shoot the shit from time to time.

Yesterday afternoon one of the receptionists came up from downstairs with a tiny kitten in her arms. Apparently one of the lawyers discovered her on the street, and actually thought that she had hit her with her car. The kitten had a bit of a messed up eye, and a bit of a bloody nose, but she was eating well, and drinking water, and was a complete cuddler. She is black with green eyes, white socks and a little pink nose. Soo cute.

The issue then was who was going to take her. All we've been hearing around town was how crowded the pounds are, how the SPCA has no room at the inn, and the fear was that if we took her in that she would be euthanized.

Suddenly, all eyes are on me...yes, I have mentioned getting a cat, yes I love cats, but I had decided that my apartment was just too small, and I just couldn't afford it. Besides...I leave in four days, off on my whirlwind cross continental trip...for three weeks.
All of a sudden money is slapped on the table - there...take her to the vet; homes are offered up - there, we'll take care of her while you're gone; and the guilt trips were served on a silver platter - If you don't take her, she might be put to sleep.
And so before I knew it, I was taking a kitten in a box to the vet. I have to give her penicillin wiith an oral syringe, and eye drops - neither of which does she particularly enjoy. She doesn't live in a box any more, of course. She has her own little palace now, lined with this furry pillow thing and cashmere scarves, and little lambs in ballerina costumes stuffed with cat nip. She's going to be spoiled rotten this kitten - I can't help myself.

I'm trying to socialize her to the kennel so that I can travel with her, and bring her to work...shit like that. But this is proving difficult. Last night she cried when I closed the door (though she's sleeping quite soundly in there now)...I made the mistake of hanging water for her on the door...and then she got upset and tried to get out, and dunked herself in water, which made her even more upset (so cute though, all water logged). So I took her out, removed the water, and towelled her off and gave her a hug and then put her back. I gave in a little bit. She had to sleep in her bed...but I put the bed on my bed so she could sleep next to me. She stopped crying after that. And then at five thirty when she woke up I let her out so she could curl up next to me. I figured she deserved a reward for sleeping through the night.

Her name is Charlotte. When I first met her, we weren't sure if she was a boy or a girl...so I named her Charlie...I figured that was pretty ambiguous. But now I know, and so now its Charlotte...Charlie for short.

Update: She wasn't found on the street...she was found in the middle of the fucking highway...this cat has some kind of survival instinct. Her finder actually thought she was dead on the highway and drove over top of her...like she was lying in between the wheels. The lawyer looks in the rear view mirror and sees Charlotte get up and have some kind of fit (I suppose I would as well if a car ran over top of me)...Lawyer freaks out (is a total animal lover), slams on the break and rescues Charlotte....takes her to court...brings her back...the rest is history.

2 comments:

S'Mat said...

now that there is a nice cat!

S'Mat said...

cats with normal sized heads are awesome!